Sunday, March 15, 2009

Buda or Pest

This is the final part to my one week "spring break" adventure - Budapest, Hungary. A couple of things you should know before visiting Budapest. The city is broken into two parts, Buda and Pest, by the Danube River. The currency of Hungary is forinths, aka the most confusing money ever!

We arrived in Budapest about 7pm that Friday night. First thing first, find our hostel! We knew we were staying on the Pest side, and the hostel said it was close to the Danube River. Ok, so headed towards the river and aimlessly walked around. About 40 minutes later, I found Maverick Hostel!

Maverick Hostel is part of a renovated mansion and on the 3rd floor.

The second video is what our room looked like! All 9 of us fit quite comfortably with so much space and our own library.

Dinner next. We searched for a good 45 minutes before agreeing on a place to eat. The Central Cellar was located literally in a cellar. This is what we saw from the outside and thought the restaurant was just in the back. But when the guy lead us down a staircase, we all kind of looked at each other and debated the whole situation. Then we saw the restaurant at the end of the tunnel. The Central Cellar was quite nice. I ate the local Hungarian goulash. Oh my it was the best goulash I have ever tasted! Also I had a salad that was decent, but I sure do miss my Ranch dressing!
Dinner in our bellies and almost 11pm, we all were more than ready for bed.

Saturday morning we all woke up sort of early to get a head start on the day. Breakfast was to be found at the corner coffee cafe. I had a chocolate muffin and then a bagel with cream cheese. One thing I've learned, any type of milk product here is 30 times better than home. Needless to say, the bagel and cream cheese was perfect; I was sad once I finished it. I had a white chocolate to drink. I was not quite sure what that was and still not sure. Whatever it was, that coffee drink was delicious!

Next we headed off the the Buda side of the Danube with the Buda Castle as our point of destination. Once at the top of Castle Hill, the Baylor 9 (that's what we have come to name ourselves) remained there the rest of the day. We walked around and took some funny pictures and videos. It was so refreshing to have a day filled with nothing we HAD to see. To enjoy each others company and take ridiculous photos reminded me we all are just looking to have fun and laugh. Here are some of our insane pictures and video of the day.

Eventually we were all hungry again. Deciding to each in Pest, we searched out the restaurant Hemingway's. Things to know about Pest: this is where the local life is. Things to know about Hemingway's: it is ridiculously stressful trying to figure out the bill when paying in forinths. We had all just eaten probably one of the best meals I've had here. I was legitimately sad when my meal (tortellini with mushrooms wrapped inside and cream sauce) was all gone. For dessert, I treated myself one more time to creme brullee. HHHMMM...so good! But then the bill came. All of us were having the best time laughing so hard; next minute each person has an utter seriousness about their faces trying to figure out how to translate the amount to pay into what we each had. (One of the biggest lessons I have learned from travel books, their version of good cheap food does not meet my version of good CHEAP food. You have been forewarned.)

The bill was settled no problem. My Baylor 9 group is such a blessing! Times of frustration like this can prove just that.

Next morning, SING results had been texted to Amanda, and we couldn't wake up early enough to find out! ADPi is in Pigskin '09! Congratulations dear sisters and fellow Pigskin members!

We had half a day in Budapest left. Packed up, checked out, and headed to see the Parliament building. The Budapest Parliament building was constructed after the British Parliament. Of course you can only walk around it unless you feel like paying a decent forinth to go inside.
Instead we headed off to a church that was said to have its interior in all gold. The inside of this church was gorgeous. Please just look and see for yourself.

With no time to spare, we headed back to the train station. Maastricht here we come! Several trains and one night train later, we arrived safely back in the Maas tired and happy to be in a familiar area.

Daughter of the King,

Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment